Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,180 pages of information and 215,290 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Was a member of the original committee of five Sheffield metallurgists which drew up under the auspices of the Institution of Automobile Engineers, the series of specifications for special alloy steels, which have since come to be regarded as standard specification for that industry.
Received his education at Sheffield Collegiate School and Firth's College.
1880 Commenced work at John Brown and Co as a metallurgist chemist.
1926 August 10th. Elected new Master Cutler of Cutlers Co at the annual meeting.
1949 Obituary 
"DAVID FLATHER, whose death occurred on 21st April 1948 at the age of eighty-three, was well known in Sheffield as a prominent engineering employer. He was associated with his father's firm, Messrs. W. T. Flather, Ltd., Standard Steel Works, Sheffield, during practically the whole of his professional career.
Before he joined the family business in 1886 he was for a period metallurgical chemist to Messrs. John Brown and Company, Ltd., of Sheffield. In 1898 he was appointed a director of Messrs. W. T. Flather, Ltd., and held office as chairman from 1918 to 1941. He was made a life director in 1945. He was largely responsible for the organization of the Sheffield Committee on standard steels and his company contributed greatly to the researches by undertaking the work of analysis and testing. Mr. Flather held many local offices including the presidency of the Bright Steel Bar Association, membership of the Chamber of Commerce, the Committee of the Applied Science Department of the University, and the District Council of the Federation of British Industries. He was elected Master Cutler in 1926, having been a member of the Company since 1911. He was also a Justice of the Peace for the city of Sheffield. Mr. Flather was elected a Member of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1907."