Davidson and Armstrong
1847 Advert: 'THE PATENT TORRENT WATER CLOSET.—Architects, Builders, Plumbers, and the Directors of Railway Companies are invited to call at Messrs. DAVIDSON and ARMSTRONG'S Warehouse, 18 and 20, Piccadilly, or their Lead Works, 37 Granby Row, Manchester, and inspect the PATENT TORRENT WATER CLOSET, which for price, economy, simplicity in construction, freedom from smell, and little roomand water required, is decidedly unrivalled by any apparatus hitherto invented. It is self-acting strong,presents an ornamental appearance, and may be placed in a corner of any room without offence to sight or smell.
D. and A. are the sole agents for the above valuable patent for Lancashire, Yorkshire, and the midland counties. Also for DOWSON'S GLAZED EARTHEN SOIL PIPES. They are superior to any metal for the conveyance of any soil, water, or fluid, being free from corrosion and impervious to liquid in any state. Samples may seen along with the closets.
D. and A. are also manufacturers of all sorts of gas, steam, and water pipes, in lead and composition, and also tinned lead pipe, white paint, &c.; and extensive merchants in glass of all kinds, copper, tin, zinc, galvanized iron, plumbers' brass work, gas fittings, &c. &c. N.B. Agents for Jones and Son's Patent Vegetable, Black, and Printers' Inks.'
Location of Works
Adshead's 1851 Maps of Manchester shows 'Davidson & Armstrong's Lead Works' fronting onto Granby Row and backing on to the River Medlock, immediately adjacent and to the west of St. Simon & St. Jude's Church.
Sources of Information
- Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 7 August 1847