Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Diogo Andrew Symons (1868-1917)
1917 Obituary 
DIOGO ANDREW SYMONS was born at Minas, Brazil, on 12th June 1868.
After private tuition, he went at the age of thirteen as a cadet on H.M.S. "Worcester," and two years later was apprenticed to Messrs. Glover and Hobson, engineers and millwrights, London.
On its completion in 1888 he studied at the Crystal Palace School of Engineering, and in the following year became assistant to Mr. James Walker, engineer to the Isle of Man Harbour Commissioners.
In 1891 he returned to the Crystal Palace School of Engineering, where he was placed in charge of the Civil Engineering Section, holding this position until 1897, when he became contractor's engineer on the Easton and Church Hope Railway, Portland.
On the completion of this work he was engineer for two years to Mr. Edwin O. Sachs, architect, and in 1891 he became a partner in the firm of Bailey-Denton, Lawford, and Symons, of Westminster. During this period he carried out important sewerage and water schemes at Denbigh, Broxbourne, etc.
On dissolving partnership in 1908, he practised on his own account in Westminster as a consulting engineer, and was responsible for important works abroad. He prepared designs and carried out surveys for the supply of water 90 miles to Athens, involving the construction of aqueducts, reservoirs, etc., and for the City of Maceio, Brazil, he furnished a large scheme for water and sewerage works. He also reported on improvements to the water supply of Dieppe and hydraulic installations in Italy.
From 1914 to 1916 he assisted in the Anti-Aircraft Department, and later acted technical officer in the Shipyard Labour Department at the Admiralty.
His death took place in London on 24th September 1917, at the age of forty-nine.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1905, and a Member in 1908.