Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,948 pages of information and 202,086 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

E. J. Dent and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1844 Dent dipleidoscope at the Deutsches Museum. Developed and patented by Edward Dent and J.M. Bloxam
1959. Westminster Clock, the hour striking cams, the pendulum bracket and the winding motor.
1959. Westminster Clock.
1959. Westminster Clock, Striking Train, showing Locking Plate and Hand Winding Reduction.[1]
1959. Westminster Clock, Chiming Train, showing Detents, Chiming Cams and Hand Winding Reduction Gear.
1959. Westminster Clock, Movement on Test in Dents Factory - 1857.

of 61 Strand, 33 Cockspur Street, and 34 Royal Exchange, maker of chronometers

1812 Company established by Edward John Dent

1814 Dent constructed the first Standard Astronomical Clock for the Admiralty

1826 Trading as E. J. Dent

1830 Dent forms partnership with John Roger Arnold, then still one of the leading chronometer-makers in London; they form Arnold and Dent

1840 The partnership with John Roger Arnold ends and Edward John Dent starts producing clocks once more under his own name

1851 Extensive exhibits at the Great Exhibition

1853 Death of Edward John Dent; his will divided his business interests between his stepsons, Richard, who inherited the Cockspur Street premises but died, intestate, of a brain disease in 1856, and Frederick; the trading name became Frederick Dent

1854 Makers of clock for the tower ("Big Ben") at the Houses of Parliment

1860 After Frederick's death, Edward's widow Elizabeth Dent continued to run the business.

1864 E. Dent and Co formed

1865 After Elizabeth's death the firm was controlled by members of the Buckney and Gardner families, descended from Frederick's two sisters, and employed other members of the extended Dent family.

1876 Registered the Dent Triangle as a trademark

1897 E. Dent and Co Ltd incorporated

1920 M. F. Dent and Co was absorbed into E. Dent and Co Ltd

1968 the last Buckney emigrated, turning the business over to the managing director.

1975 it became a subsidiary of Toye & Co. Ltd.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1959/06/12
  • [1] Dent Watches