Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Marsden, near Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Probably became Taylor and Hirst
1824 Advertising for a 'PERSON who understands Scribbling and Carding Machinery —Apply to Messrs. E. and J. Taylor, Marsden, near Huddersfield.' Presumably they were embarking on, or developing the business of textile machine making. 
1840 'T0 BE SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT, a STATIONARY CONDENSING STEAM ENGINE, of Ten Horse Power, in good Condition, and may be seen now at Work, at the Mill of Mr. John Rowbotham, Sutton, near Maclesfield. For further Particulars, and to treat for the same, apply to the said Mr. John Rowbotham, or to Messrs. E. and J. Taylor, Engineers, &c. Marsden, near Huddersfield.
1840 'CHRISTMAS FESTIVITY - On Saturday last, the 18th instant, the mechanics in the employ of Messrs. E. and J. Taylor, ironfounders, millwrights, &c,, Marsden, near Huddersfield, met at the house of Mr. Samuel Whitehead, sign of the "Two Dutchmen," Marsden, to enjoy their Christmas annual festivity. Upwards of sixty sat down to a most plentiful table of roast beef, plum-pudding, &c.....'
1843 'NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, That the PARTNERSHIP heretofore subsisting between us, the Undersigned JAMES TAYLOR, THOMAS HAIGH, and DIANA HIRST, carrying on Business together at Marsden, in the Parish of Almondbury, in the County of York, as Iron Founders and Millwrights, under the Firm of E. and J. Taylor (Enoch and James Taylor,) was DISSOLVED by Mutual Consent, on the 31st. Day of December last, so far as regards the said Thomas Haigh. Given under our Hands this 7th Day of March, in the Year of our Lord 1843. JAMES TAYLOR. THOS. HAIGH. D. HIRST. Witness— C. S. Floyd, Solicitor, Huddersfield.'
1848 'NOVELTY IN THE APPLICATION OF STEAM POWER.-
On Wednesday week, Messrs A. & A. Shaw, of Park Mills, Shaw, near Oldham, gave an entertainment to their numerous work people and a large circle of friends in the new buildings recently erected by them, on the occasion of the first starting of four new and powerful steam engines.
The engines were made by Messrs E. & J. Taylor, of Marsden, near Huddersfield, and do great credit to their mechanical skill.
Each engine is of upwards of thirty horse power, but the chief point of interest connected with them arises from their being united together in one engine-house, a thing never before witnessed in this country. The whole power of the four engines is concentrated at one point, and works so that two cranks are up and two down, and thus obviating the hitherto existing weakness of the ordinary engines, where the desideratum is supplied by the momentum of the flywheel.
The first trial, combined in this manner, was looked forward to with some anxiety, and at the time appointed for starting, a large number of spectators, including the owners, the makers, and several iron-founders of the district, assembled to witness their first efforts. At a given signal the steam was turned on, and the whole moved together in the most perfect unanimity, eliciting marks of approbation, and affording conclusive evidence of the complete success of this "quadruple alliance," where uniform motion is indispensable.
After being fully satisfied of the undoubted success of these iron Goliaths, and the proprietors having, according to customs with all due honours, bestowed upon the engines the name of the "United Brothers," the whole party adjourned to the large building, where the evening's entertainments were kept up until a late hour - Leeds Mercury.'
1852 'TO be SOLD, a bargain, a WATER WHEEL, 18 feet 6 inches diameter, 4 feet wide on the Bucket and 12 inches deep on the Shroud, with Spur Segments, fixed to the Shroud, 5 inches broad on the cog. Also 4 FULLING STOCKS varying from 22 inches to 27 inches wide at the scam with the Tappit Wheels, &c, to the same belonging; also two RAISING GIGS with Cylinders 6 feet 6 inches long, one 4 feet and the other 3 feet 6 inches diameter. The above Machinery is in good working condition and well worthy the attention of parties wanting such, and the Water Wheel having only worked about 4 years will be found nearly as good as new, having iron Shrouds, Buckets and Soleplating, and Wood arms. For further information apply to E. and J. Taylor, Ironfounders, Marsden, near Huddersfield; or to Mr. John Whiteley (the owner), Stones-mill, Ripponden, near Halifax.'
1852 James Taylor, died on 11th September.