Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1846 The Eastern Union Railway was opened for public passenger traffic on 15 June from an end-on junction with the Eastern Counties Railway at Colchester to a terminus at Ipswich; now forms part of the Great Eastern Main Line. One of the main protagonists was John Chevallier Cobbold and the engineer was Peter Bruff.
The company opened a connecting line to Bury St Edmunds, now part of the Ipswich to Ely Line on 7 December 1846. The opening of this line led to the rapid decline of the River Lark as a navigation; a further extension from Haughley to Norwich opened on 12 December 1849.
1853 the Eastern Union Railway was in serious financial trouble having built lines to Norwich, Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury and was constructing a branch to Harwich. On 1 January 1854 the Eastern Counties Railway took over the working of the EUR although this was not formally ratified until the Act of Parliament of 7 August 1854.
1862 Amalgamated with others to form the Great Eastern Railway.