Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,192 pages of information and 215,398 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1822 - 1881
Edward Borrows received virtually no schooling, and at an early age was apprenticed to Melling's engineering works in Liverpool, which shortly afterwards relocated to Rainhill. He became well-regarded for his own inventions and improvements. In 1846 Borrows began working for John Smith and Robert Daglish as foreman in their locomotive department. Their company worked under contract for the St.Helens Canal and Railway Company, who later took over the business. Borrows was given responsibility for managing Sutton Sheds near St.Helens Junction where locomotives were made and maintained. In 1850 he was appointed chief superintendent of the locomotive department. In 1864, the St. Helens Railway Company was taken over by the LNWR. Although offered a position as district locomotive superintendent, Borrows chose instead to leave and join a new company, James Cross and Co. Borrows quit after a short time over the patent rights to a diaphragm pump which he'd invented. He established his own business, naming the factory 'Providence Works'. This became E. Borrows and Sons.
Edward Borrows died on June 29th 1881, age 58.