Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,390 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Clifton Hubbard (1894-1924)
1925 Obituary 
EDWARD CLIFTON HUBBARD was born on 4th December 1894, at Rodmersham, Kent, and was educated at the Royal Naval School, Greenwich, and at the Chatham Dockyard School.
He served his apprenticeship in the Dockyard, and during the five years, 1910-1915, of his term he continued his technical studies, winning a Royal Scholarship and other successes, and took a high position amongst students at the City and Guilds of London Engineering College, Kensington, where he gained the Bramwell medal in engineering and the Henrici medal in mathematics.
In 1917 he joined the R.N.V.R., and afterwards, being transferred to the Air Force, he was engaged on research work at Manchester University on "Strength of Materials in Aircraft," and the thesis he wrote in connexion with these investigations won for him the honour of a special diploma from the Imperial College, S. Kensington.
He was then transferred to the Aircraft Factory at Farnborough, where he was occupied in research work to the end of the War.
Lieutenant Hubbard was then demobilised and later on be spent the years 1919-1923 as technical assistant to the Cunard Steamship Company, Ltd., Liverpool, a position which entailed responsibility for technical calculations in connexion with the construction of the S.S. "Samaria," which was being built for the Company at the Cammell-Laird works, Birkenhead.
A breakdown in health then occurred, and in 1923 Mr. Hubbard returned to Sittingbourne, and later on joined the teaching staff at the City and Guilds Engineering College, South Kensington, but his recovery was not complete, and he eventually succumbed on 27th April 1925 to an attack of pneumonia.
He joined this Institution as a Graduate in 1917, and became an Associate Member in 1924.