Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,103 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Gotto (1822-1897), of Gotto and Beesley
1897 Obituary 
EDWARD GOTTO, born in 1822, commenced his professional career as a pupil of the late Mr. Edward Jones, of Bloomsbury, engineer and architect.
He was afterwards employed on the drainage of Sandgate, and from 1842 to 1848 was in business on his own account, engaged on Parliamentary surveys for railways and other works, and at the same time holding the post of Surveyor to the Corporation of Dover.
In 1848 Mr. Gotto was appointed an Assistant Engineer to the Metropolitan Commissioners of Sewers, and for three years had charge of the sewers on the north side of the Thames from Pimlico to Stoke Newington, with the exception of those within the City of London.
In 1852 Mr. Gotto took an office in Great George Street and began to practise on his own account. Work soon came to him, and among the undertakings on which he was engaged during the next ten years may be mentioned the drainage of Chatham, Romford and Cowes, the water-supply of the last named town, and the estimates for the main-drainage works of the Metropolis.
In 1860 he entered into partnership with Frederick Beesley, an association which lasted for thirty years.
The principal works carried out by the firm of Gotto and Beesley during that period were the drainage of Rio de Janeiro, Seaford, Trowbridge, Evesham, Huyton and Roby, Redditch, Brentford and Cheshunt; and the drainage and water-supply of Campos (Brazil), Oswestry, Leominster and Cinderford.
On the expiration of the partnership in 1890, Mr. Gotto assumed the position of General Manager of the Rio de Janeiro City Improvements Company, Limited, which post he held until his death at Albany Road, St. Leonards-on-Sea, on the 27th February, 1897, at the age of seventy-five.
Mr. Gotto resided at the Logs, Hampstead, and was a Justice of the Peace for Middlesex.
He was elected an Associate on the 13th January, 1863, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 13th December, 1870.
1897 Obituary