Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Edward Manisty

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Edward Manisty (1844-1913)


1914 Obituary [1]

EDWARD MANISTY, who died at Woburn Sands on the 11th January, 1913, was the second son of the late Mr. Justice Manisty.

Born on the 10th January, 1844, he was educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, graduating in Mathematical Honours in 1866. He gained his practical experience in the office of the late Sir John Fowler,, Past-President, and in 1870 he went to Ireland as contractor’s engineer on the Newry and Greenore Railway, and other works in that country.

In 1878 he became proprietor of the Dundalk Ironworks and engaged in the design and manufacture of distillery and flax machinery, and steam-engines. He next held charge, as Agent for the contractor, the late Mr. T. A. Walker, of the Eastern Section of the Manchester Ship Canal.

After the completion of this work, he made several journeys to South Africa and Australia in connection with various harbour projects, and in 1898, at the request of the late Sir Benjamin Baker, he reported upon a scheme for the construction of docks at Alexandria.

In 1902 he was appointed Contractors’ Agent on the construction of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead tube railway, and in 1906, at the invitation of the Buenos Aires Western Railway Company, he visited that city to report upon a proposed underground line now under construction. On his return, he was appointed Chief of the staff to Messrs. C. H. Walker and Company, contractors, a position which he retained until his death.

Mr. Manisty was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 34th May, 1870, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members and was transferred to the class of Members on the 17th January, 1893.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information