Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Wyndham Monkhouse (1865-1940) of Burstall and Monkhouse
1941 Obituary 
EDWARD WYNDHAM MONKHOUSE, M.V.O., M.A., whose death occurred on 21st November 1940, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1897, and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
He was born in 1865 and was educated at Wellington and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated in engineering in 1887. He afterwards entered the works of Messrs. F. B. Shuttleworth, at Erith, as an improver, and was for a time with the Maxim Nordenfelt Gun Company. In 1890 he went to Jamaica, where he erected and supervised the plant for the electric lighting and transmission of power at the Kingston Exhibition.
On returning to England in 1891 he joined the Westminster Electric Supply Company as second engineer at the Eccleston Place station, then in course of erection. In 1892 he was selected for the post of superintendent of mains of the same company and was in sole charge of the change-over in the Mayfair district from the two- to the three-wire system and accomplished the work without any accident or stoppage of light. He remained with the Westminster Electric Supply Company until 1894, in which year he was appointed resident electrical engineer to the Corporation of Edinburgh, where he superintended the erection of the generating plant.
He entered into partnership with Mr. H. R. J. Burstall in 1896 and started in practice in Westminster as a consulting engineer, and continued this work for the remainder of his career. In the early days of electricity the firm acted as advisers for electric lighting and heating work for the Metropolitan Asylum Board. He was also responsible for the installation of heating plant at Botley Park Institution, Chertsey, and acted as consulting engineer to St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
He was appointed a Member of the Royal Victorian Order in recognition of his work at Sandringham and Balmoral as consulting engineer to King George V. Much of his work was in the tendering of advice on mechanical, electrical, heating, and ventilating matters for arbitration and legal purposes. Mr. Monkhouse who was the proprietor of a laboratory had an extensive practice in the testing of cement and materials of construction. He was also consulted in connection with ventilating schemes for the Mersey Tunnel and had the satisfaction of seeing the scheme which he proposed in successful operation on the opening of the tunnel.
1940 Obituary 
1941 Obituary 
EDWARD WYNDHAM MONKHOUSE, M.V.O., was born on the 7th November, 1865, and died on the 21st November, 1940.
He was educated at Wellington College, Wokingham, and at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Following this he was for a few months with Messrs. Woodhouse and Rawson as an improver, and for 18 months with Messrs. F. B. Shuttleworth, shipbuilders. From January, 1890, to August, 1891, he was employed by Messrs. Nicholson and Jennings, contractors.
He then joined the staff of the Westminster Electric Supply Corporation as Second Engineer at their Eccleston Place station, later becoming Mains Superintendent.
In April, 1894, he was appointed City Electrical Engineer at Edinburgh, where he superintended, under the late Sir Alexander Kennedy, the erection of Dewar Place power station and the laying of the mains.
In 1896 he took up consulting work and entered into partnership with Mr. H. R. J. Burstall. The firm were responsible for electrical installations at Worthing, Maidenhead, Falkirk, Oban, etc., and also for the Croydon tramways and for the electrification of a number of factories and large mansions.
He was elected a Member of The Institution in 1915.