Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,823 pages of information and 210,445 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Elias William Jones (1833-1877)
1877 Obituary 
MR. ELIAS WILLIAM JONES, son of the Rev. S. Jones, of Penarth, near Cardiff, was born at Neath, Glamorganshire, on the 27th of August, 1833.
He served a pupilage of three years between 1849 and 1852 to the late Mr. Egbert Moxham, Assoc. Inst. C.E., who was then in practice in the same town as a civil engineer and architect.
From 1852 to 1857 he was engaged in Liverpool as general assistant to Mr. Culshaw, an architect and surveyor; and from 1857 to 1859 he was assistant to Mr. David Rees, a mining engineer and surveyor, at Neath, where from 1859 up to his decease he practised on his own account as an engineer and surveyor. During this period he prepared the plans and sections of the Swansea and Neath railway, and of the Dulais Valley railway - which was afterwards extended, and became the Neath and Brecon line - as well as of many other lines, branches, and termini in South Wales. He was also employed in various surveys of mineral and other property, was frequently called in to settle disputes in matters relating to his profession, and was mineral surveyor to many large coal-owners and colliery firms in the district, for which his knowledge of the South Wales coalfield eminently fitted him. He was an expert draughtsman, and was noted for the accuracy and neatness of his plans, while his reports and evidence were arranged in a masterly manner.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 20th of May, 1873, and he died on the 28th of April, 1877.