Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 1154342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 167,713 pages of information and 247,105 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Emile Spencer Wilkinson

From Graces Guide

Emile Spencer Wilkinson ( -1932)


1932 Obituary [1]

EMILE SPENCER WILKINSON served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Armstrong, Whitworth and Company at Scotswood, and was later transferred to their Barlow Aircraft Works at Selby, where he was engaged until 1919 upon airship structural work, also training during this period for about eight months as an R.A.F. observer officer with the rank of Second lieutenant.

In the latter part of 1919 Mr. Wilkinson joined Messrs. Ardol of Selby, Yorks, as chief draughtsman.

In 1920 he was appointed assistant engineer, but owing to the cessation of production by his firm he joined Messrs. Fraser and Chalmers of Erith as senior draughtsman and remained with them until 1922.

Mr. Wilkinson was then engaged as designer in the mechanical engineering department of the Wigan Coal and Iron Company at the suggestion of Mr. A. E. Leek, A.M.I.Mech.E., the chief mechanical engineer, under whom he had previously worked when with Messrs. Ardol. At this time Mr. Wilkinson was engaged on work in connexion with Mr. Leek's patent, the "Supermiser." This invention was ultimately taken over by Messrs. Galloways, whom Mr. Wilkinson then joined.

Whilst connected with the Wigan Coal and Iron Company, he was responsible for the design and lay-out of a 6,000-ton tar macadam plant, a coke-oven by-product plant, and various other works.

He was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1925 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1926.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information