Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Clement Skurray (c1864-1940) of F. Skurray and Sons
c1864 Born the son of Francis Skurray
1871 Living at West Field House, Farringdon, Berks: Francis Skurray (age 37 born Marlborough), Corn Merchant. With his wife Herta M. Skurray (age 28 born Challow, berks and their four children; Francis F. Skurray (age 6 born Swindon); Ernest C. Skurray (age 5 born Swindon); Stanley Skurray (age 4 born Swindon); Thomas Skurray (age 2 born Faringdon). Also a visitor William Henry Butt (age 33 born Stonehouse), Brewer. Three servants.
1893 Married in Warborough, Oxon., to Susan Mary Forty
1899 Opened his first garage at an old chapel building in Princes Street, Swindon.
1901 September. Letter having measured the gradients of Birdlip Hill.
1911 Living at Westlecott Road, West Lodge, Swindon: Ernest Clement Skurray (age 45 born Swindon), Miller - Employer. With his wife Susan Mary Skurray (age 37 born Burnham, Som.) and their two daughters Muriel Andrey Skurray (age 9 born Swindon) and Sylvia Jane Skurray (age 3 born Swindon). Tree servants.
1922 Skurray's moved to High Street, in Old Town, where Ernest opened a workshop behind a double-fronted house.
1926 Both house and workshop were demolished to be replaced by a spectacular, timbered showroom on the corner of High Street and Newport Street.