Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Thomas Williams (1887-1935)
1935 Obituary 
ERNEST THOMAS WILLIAMS was district superintendent to Insurance Engineers, Ltd., at Cardiff.
He was born in 1887 at Aberystwyth, where he received his technical education.
In 1905 he commenced a five years' indentured apprenticeship at Messrs. T. Williams and Sons' Central Engineering Works, Aberystwyth, after which he went to sea as engineer in ships owned by Messrs. Phillips, Phillips and Company. He was engaged in senior positions in large twin-screw steamships of the Commonwealth and Dominion Line, Ltd., from 1913 to 1915, during which time he gained a special knowledge of refrigerating plant.
He was then granted a commission in the Royal Indian Marine. After taking charge of repair work in Basra dockyard, he became chief engineer of river craft in Mesopotamia.
In 1916 he was invalided to India, but later was appointed to the staff of the engineer captain in charge of the Calcutta Naval Dockyard, where he was chiefly engaged on surveys of ships and machinery and on the reporting of breakdowns and defects.
He was transferred to Karachi in 1918, and joined H.M.S. Investigator as chief engineer. After the War he took up engineering insurance, and was appointed chief engineer of the London Guarantee and Accident Company, Ltd., and four years later received the triple appointment of assistant chief engineer to the Phoenix Assurance Company, Ltd., the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, Ltd., and the London Guarantee and Accident Company, Ltd.
His appointment with Insurance Engineers, Ltd., took place in 1928, and he held this position until his death on 11th December 1935. He was an expert on insurance so far as it affected plant owners and power users, and he frequently lectured to engineers and insurance officials on the subject.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1918.