Felling Chemical Works
of Newcastle (office) and Felling near Gateshead (works)
By 1848 The site had grown to 17 acres
The works were lit by gas from the firm's own coke ovens and there was an associated iron works and a brickyard. There was also a company school for children of employees.
1855 Partnership change. '... the undersigned, as Chemical Manufacturers, at Felling Chemical Works, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, under the firm of Hugh, Lee, Pattinson, and Company, was dissolved so far as regards the undersigned, Robert Burnett, by his retirement therefrom, on the 31st day of December, 1854; and that the business and firm is continued by the other partners who are authorized to settle all claims by and against the late partnership.— Dated this 27th day of January, 1855. H. L. Pattinson. H. L. Pattinson, junr. W. W. Pattinson. Robt. Burnett. John Foster.
1877 The firm consists of Mr. H. L. Pattinson, Mr. W. W. Pattinson, Mr. J. M. Redmayne, Mr. R. R. Redmayne, Sir John Watson, and Mr. J. H. Pattinson.
Products are soda ash, refined alkali, soda crystals, bi-carbonate of soda, and bleaching powder, produced by Weldon's and Deacon's processes. The works produce about 14,000 tons of soda ash and 6,000 tons of bleaching powder per year. About 650 men and 150 boys are employed.
1886 The works closed, putting 1,400 men out of work.