Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,038 pages of information and 222,628 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The City and Guilds of London Institute for the Advancement of Technical Education, of Finsbury, London
1878 The City and Guilds of London Institute created a teaching institution as a stop-gap until they could establish their Central Institution in London
William E. Ayrton was employed to inaugurate a series of evening lectures at the Cowper Street Middle Class School in Finsbury. Ayrton's lectures began with "The improvement science can effect in our trades and the condition of our workmen"; Henry E. Armstrong also lectured on "The First principles of Chemistry"
Silvanus P. Thompson was its Principal and Professor of Physics for the first 30 years.
Recognising the level of interest in these lectures, Ayrton and Armstrong persuaded the City and Guilds to build a large building in the playground of the school with entrance in Leonard Street.
1880 It was decided to accept day-release students
1881 The foundation stone of the new college was laid by Prince Leopold
1882 John Perry (1850-1920) was appointed Professor of mechanical engineering
1883 The college was completed after some delays arising from legal, labour and cash flow problems
1892-3 The total number of daytime students was 213; there were 980 evening students
WWI The RNAS (later RAF) took over part of the City and Guilds College, carrying out testing in connection with Airships and Kite Balloons. The RAF referred to this as the Finsbury Research Station.
In all about 7000 engineers and technicians had been trained by the college.