Florence Mine

near Egremont, Cumbria
Florence Mine was the last deep working iron ore mine in the UK. It finally ceased production in 2007.
Tourist signs still (2019) point to Florence Mine, because some of the buildings remain in use by the Florence Arts Centre. Their website provides a good account of the mine's history, and its place in the local industry. The following information is condensed from that source.
The mine was started in 1914 by the Millom and Askam Co, who also took over the Ullcoats Mines in 1917 and operated them together. When Florence was beginning to be worked out, a second shaft, Florence No. 2, was started and was fully operational by 1951. It was connected to the Ullcoats workings in the 1950s, meeting it 175 feet below the surface. In 1969 the lease was taken over by Beckermet mines (part of the British Steel Corporation). BSC closed the mine on October 3rd, 1980. Subsequently Florence continued to be mined by a small team providing 'annealing ore', used in foundries and for pigments, while polished haematite was used for jewellery. The mine and the heritage centre operated until ended by flooding in 2008.