Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,941 pages of information and 233,606 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
In 1891 Hugh Fraser joined the partnership of Arthur and Fraser and it was by then called Fraser and Sons.
In 1879 the current flagship store on Oxford Street in London was opened by Dan Harries Evans, a 23 year old from Whitemill in Carmarthenshire, Wales who had previously been apprenticed to a draper in Forest hamlet near Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. He moved to London in 1878 to set up his own business in Westminster Bridge Road. The store traded under the D. H. Evans name until 2001.
By 1900 Hugh Fraser II was in charge: he incorporated the business as Fraser and Sons Ltd in 1909 and introduced the famous stag’s head.
After Hugh Fraser II died in 1927, his son Hugh Fraser III, an accountant, became Chairman of the business. He opened new departments, enlarged the tearoom, opened a restaurant and also began to look at possible acquisitions.
In 1948 the Company, now named House of Fraser, was first listed on the London Stock Exchange.