Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,020 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederic John Ramsbottom Sutcliffe (1844-1906)
Engineer, Low Moor Iron Works, near Bradford. - presumably Low Moor Co
1906 Obituary 
FREDERIC JOHN RAMSBOTTOM SUTCLIFFE was born at Todmorden, Yorkshire, on 22nd June 1844.
After passing through the works, he was appointed in 1871 assistant engineer at Bowling Iron Works, and in 1874 he was promoted to be chief engineer. This position he held until 1878, when he became engineer at the Low Moor Iron Works, Bradford, and remained in that capacity until early in 1899.
Since then he practised as a consulting engineer in Bradford until his death, which took place after a short illness on 11th February 1906, in his sixty-second year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1875; he was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and of the Iron and Steel Institute.
1907 Obituary 
FREDERIC JOHN RAMSBOTTOM SUTCLIFFE, born at Todmorden, Yorkshire, on the 22nd June, 1844, obtained his engineering training in the Crewe works of the London and North Western Railway, under his uncle, the late Mr. John Ramsbottom.
From 1871 to 1878 Mr. Sutcliffe was Engineer to the Bowling Iron Company, and in the latter year he obtained the appointment of Chief Engineer to the Low Moor Iron Company of Bradford, retaining this position for a period of 20 years. As Chief Engineer, he was responsible for the entire management of the extensive engineering works of the company, comprising blast-furnaces, forges, mills, collieries and iron-stone mines.
He resigned this position in 1898 and engaged in consulting practice at Bradford until his death, which occurred on the 11th February, 1906. Mr. Sutcliffe was a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and of the Iron and Steel Institute.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 1st May, 1883, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 24th March, 1896.