Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,427 pages of information and 211,664 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Phoenix Chemical Works, Upper North Street, Poplar, London, E14. (1922)
Telephone: East 5047-8. Cables: "Nitric, Poplondon". (1929)
1826 Phoenix Chemical Works was established as a chemical manufacturer by John Cook.
1840s Frederick John Alien set himself up as a chemical manufacturer at Bow Common
1863 Acquired the neighbouring Phoenix Chemical Works
1918 Frederick Allen and Sons became a limited company.
1922 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Pure Research Acids, Hydrochloric, Nitric, Sulphuric; Inorganic Salts; Calcined Calcium Chloride; Alum, etc. Lead Chromes, Ivy Glues. (Stand No. A.45) 
1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Pure and Research Chemicals, Lead Chromes, Lead Acetate, Sal Acetos, Oxalates, Fertilizers, Insecticides, Epsom Salts, Calcium Chloride Exsicc., Burnt Alum, Liquor Antimony Chloride, Liquor Ferri Perchloride, Carbonates, Sulphates, Nitrates, Chlorides. (Stand No. K.75) 
1952 The company was sold by the Allen family to E. E. Unwin, who had been associated with the firm since 1937.
1979 Purchased by Hays Wharf, becoming part of Hays Chemicals Ltd.
1985 The works were closed.