Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,092 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Frederick Henry Smiles (1861-1895)
1895 Obituary 
FREDERICK HENRY SMILES, son of Mr. James Smiles, of Edinburgh, was born in Edinburgh on the 14th of April, 1861.
He was educated at Daniel Stewart’s College, in that city, and in 1877 was indentured to the late Archibald Sutter, with whom he remained until 1883. During that time he assisted in preparing designs for, and in carrying out, the water-supply of Castle Douglas, N.B., and main roads and bridge at Newliston; and in making surveys for the lines in connection with the Forth Bridge, for the Edinburgh and South-side Suburban Railway, and for the section between Loch Lomond and Glencoe of the Glasgow and North Western Railway.
In 1883 Mr. Smiles entered the office of Alexander C. Boothby, of Kirkcaldy, and was engaged in preparing plans for the water supply of Elie, Earlsferry, St. Monan and St. Andrews, and for the drainage of Ardross, on which works he acted as Resident Engineer for nine months.
He also assisted with the parliamentary estimates, surveys and sections of the Seafield Dock and Railway and of the Dundee Suburban Railway. In 1885 he was sent to take charge of Mr. Boothby’s office in Westminster, and was there engaged for some time in the preparation of the designs for the main drainage and sewage-disposal works of Bury St. Edmunds.
In 1886, Mr. Smiles became an assistant on the engineering staff of Punchard, McTaggart, Lowther and Co, contractors, and for two years was engaged as a draughtsman on various South American works.
In May, 1888, he proceeded to Siam for the same firm as one of a staff sent out to locate and survey the proposed Government railways from Bangkok to the Chinese frontier, and as District Engineer was in charge of sections through extremely difficult and hilly country.
On the completion of that work in 1891 Ur. Smiles was appointed Chief Assistant in the Royal Survey Department of Siam, and at once started on an expedition with Mr. James McCarthy, the Superintendent of the Department, to carry out a triangulation through Northern Siam....[more]