Frederick W. Stanger
Boat builder, Ness, Stromness
1836 The shipbuilding yard was established by John Stanger, who had previously carried out repair work in Stromness. After his death in 1878, the yard was idle for several years until revived by his son, Frederick Ward Stanger. The yard was modernised in 1913 and during the First World War came under control of the Admiralty. Frederick Stanger died in 1924, effectively closing the business, although it was not until 1928 and with an unfinished vessel still on the stocks, that the plant was sold off.[1]
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ Orkney Herald 22 August 1928