Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,404 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Freemen's Meadow Power Station

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1894 The first electricity generating station in Leicester was built at the Aylestone Road Gas Works.

1904 The second generating station was opened to supply direct current at 500 volts to the City's tramways

A large domestic and industrial load also built up so the two generating stations were placed under one committee of the council in 1911

1922 A new station, the Freemen's Meadow station, was begun on a site sufficiently large to permit extensions to cope with increase in demand for many years, and to enable the existing stations to be closed. A radial system of distribution at 6.6 kV was also introduced.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information