Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
in Frenchay, Bristol
Founded in 1761.
After 1910 the works became the Frenchay Flock Mill, and were demolished after 2000, having latterly been used for light industrial purposes.
There had been another iron works by Cleeve Road bridge, but the two amalgamated in 1810, the one on Frenchay Hill then being known as the Lower Iron Works. By the late 19th Century it mainly produced tools and was owned by Thomas Moore. An early 20thC postcard shows 'T. Moore Frenchay Edge Tool and File Works' on the building.
The above information is condensed from the Frenchay Community website.
Products included spades, shovels, pans, ladles, etc.
1829 Death notices: 'On the 18th inst. James Gowing, a workman belonging to the Frenchay Iron-works, who faithfully served that concern upwards of forty years; also, on 21st inst. Charles Bennett, another workman of the same concern, whose meritorious and exemplary conduct as a workman, for nearly sixty years, has never been exceeded and but seldom equalled.'