Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,385 pages of information and 230,731 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Leedham Fuller (c1823-1906) of Lombard Street, London
1906 Obituary 
GEORGE LEEDHAM FULLER died at Theale, Somerset, on the 2nd January, 1906, at the advanced age of 83.
In early years, after being regularly trained for the engineering profession, he was employed as locomotive superintendent on the Bristol and Gloucester line and as Assistant Resident Engineer on the construction of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway.
In 1852 he engaged in practice on his own account and was consulted principally in connection with slate-quarries in North Wales. He acted as Consulting Engineer to several companies, and also acquired and worked a slate-quarry himself, but was eventually obliged to give this up owing to lack of sufficient capital.
In the eighties he prepared plans for a breakwater and sea-wall at Criccieth, and superintended the erection of the latter.
In 1856 he took out a patent for an improved compound engine, a model of which is in the South Kensington Museum.
He retired in 1895 from the active pursuit of his profession, but continued to take a keen interest in the proceedings of the Institution, with which he was connected for nearly 50 years.
Mr. Fuller was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 7th December, 1858, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 6th December, 1864.