Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Brocklehurst (1839-1908)
1908 Obituary 
GEORGE BROOKLEHURST was born in 1839 at Prescot, Lancashire, and was educated at Dr. Brunner's School at Everton.
He was then employed for a time by Messrs. G. Forrester and Co., Vauxhall Foundry, Liverpool, and in 1859 he rejoined Mr. Manifold, who was a relative, as his assistant in the erection of sugar factories in Demerara. He also had charge of the Dutch Government sugar factories in Surinam.
In 1862 he became the representative in Demerara for Messrs. George Fletcher and Co., of Derby, and from 1864 to 1866 acted in the same capacity in Trinidad for Messrs. G. Forrester and Co. (mentioned above).
In 1868 he went to Barbados, where he was first employed by Mr. John T. Haynes of the Bush Hall plantation; and then he became the representative of Messrs. G. Fletcher and Co., and was engaged in the erection and control of various sugar factories for that firm.
During the whole of his engineering career he was occupied with the construction and erection of cane sugar-making machinery, and he was the inventor of many improvements in the same, making a name more particularly in connection with the design of pans in which the saccharine liquid is boiled for cleaning and concentrating purposes.
He came to England in May 1907 for the benefit of his health, which improved temporarily, but the inclemency of the winter climate became too severe for him, and he died from heart failure in Liverpool on 12th January 1908, at the age of sixty-eight.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1896.