Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Charles Dieckstahl (c.1838-1880) of Seebohm and Dieckstahl
1880 Obituary 
Mr. GEORGE CHARLES DIECKSTAHL, of the firm of Messrs. Seebohm Dieckstahl, steel refiners and converters, &c., Dannemora Steel Works, Sheffield, died there in June last.
Mr. Dieckstahl resided in Hanover, whence he travelled in the interests of his firm through the various markets of Russia, Germany, France, and other countries where they did business. He was an excellent linguist, of fine presence, and gentlemanly bearing, and it is to his exertions in a large measure that the firm were able to build up the valuable Continental business which has been of late years associated with their name.
Deceased was a native of Harburg near Hamburg, and commenced his Sheffield experience in the employment of Messrs. Moss & Gamble, Franklin Works, Russell Street, remaining with that firm some eight years. Mr. Seebohm was then with Messrs. George Fisher & Co., file manufacturers and steel converters, Hoyle Street Works.
Some years ago Mr. Seebohm and Mr. Dieckstahl resolved to go into partnership in the steel-converting and file-making. They commenced business on Attercliffe Road, and subsequently removed to Leadmill Road, and afterwards to their present premises, which are closely adjoining the Wicker.
Early in June Mr. Dieckstahl left Hanover to take charge of the business in Sheffield, while Mr. Robert Schott, who was managing partner at the works, was away from Sheffield for a time. Shortly after he came he was in indifferent health, but he persisted in going to business and caught a fresh cold, which compelled him to remain indoors. Gastric fever set in, and Mr. Dieckstahl, gradually getting worse, died on the 13th, at the comparatively early age of forty years.
The deceased gentleman was only elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in May 1880, a little more than a month before his death.