Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Fitzbrown

From Graces Guide

George Fitzbrown (1851-1931) of the Broughton Copper Co


1931 Obituary [1]

GEORGE FITZBROWN died on April 26, 1931.

He was born in 1851. After serving an apprenticeship at the L. & N.W. Railway Carriage Works at Wolverton, Mr. Fitzbrown studied at the Wigan Mining School.

In 1871 he went to the Royal School of Mines, becoming an Associate in 1875, and in the same year he gained the M.T. de la. Beche Medal.

In 1875 he entered the service of the Broughton Copper Company, Ltd., Manchester, with which he was connected without a break until the time of his death. He served in the Metallurgical Department of the Company under the late Dr. David Watson for the first few years, and then, after a period on the commercial side of the business, was appointed Manager of the Company's Smelting Works at Ditton, Widnes, in 1887.

In 1900 he was appointed a Director of the Company.

Mr. Fitzbrown was a Fellow of the Institute of Chemistry for more than 40 years, and also a Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society. He did a good deal of public and church work in a quiet and unobtrusive manner, and although he had been several times requested to become a magistrate, he had always refused. He was a keen naturalist, and delighted in all forms of sport. Mr. Fitzbrown leaves a widow, two daughters, and one son. His two elder sons were killed in the Great War.

Mr. Fitzbrown was elected a member of the Institute of Metals on December 18, 1913. -LEONARD SUMNER.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information