Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,804 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

George Hyde

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

George Hyde (1868-1912)


1912 Obituary [1]

GEORGE HYDE was born in Manchester on 18th November 1868.

He was educated at Derby, and was engaged in the Derby and Nottingham District Engineer's office, Great Northern Railway, under Mr. A. J. Grinling, as assistant upon the varied works in connection with 150 miles of railway and 50 miles of canal. This work comprised the preparation of drawings, surveys, and setting out of branch railways and extensions, and supervising their construction, including that of bridges and signalling work.

In March 1898 he was appointed chief engineer and works manager to Messrs. Pilkington Bros. Sheet Glass Works, St. Helens, Lancashire. In this capacity he had charge of the construction of large Siemens gas-furnaces, gas-producers and plant, boilers, clay-working machinery, Dellwik and Mond plants, &c.

This position he held until his death which took place at St. Helens, after a prolonged illness, on 14th November 1912, in his forty- fourth year.

He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1902, and was an Associate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers; he was also a Member of the Council of the Liverpool Engineering Society.


1913 Obituary [2]

GEORGE HYDE, born on the 18th November, 1868, in Manchester, died at St. Helens on the 14th November, 1912.

He was trained in the engineering department of the Great Northern Railway Company, in whose service he remained for 13 years.

In 1898 he was appointed Chief Engineer and Works Manager of Pilkington’s Sheet Glassworks, which post he held until his death.

He served on the council of the Liverpool Engineering Society.

Mr. Hyde was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 2nd December, 1902.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information