Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,515 pages of information and 217,091 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1907 Obituary 
GEORGE JESSOP was born in Manchester on 9th May 1852.
Shortly afterwards his parents removed to Leicester, where his father established a general engineering business. In these works he received his early mechanical training, his technical training being completed at the works of Messrs. Appleby Brothers under Mr. C. J. Appleby, of London, to whom he was articled.
The business increased so rapidly, principally in the construction of the then comparatively little known steam cranes, that in 1866 the new London Steam Crane and Engine Works were built and equipped, specially with a view to convenience and economy in the production of cranes and hoisting machinery.
On the expiration of his articles of pupilage, Mr. George Jessop returned to his father's works, and soon after took the position of works manager, which he held until he became a partner, and he continued to control the business until compelled by failing health to relinquish it.
But some years before that occurred the Leicester business was amalgamated with that of Appleby Brothers of London (the two firms having been for many years closely connected) and further considerable extensions were made. He took a great interest in the welfare of the men in his employment, and was an active member, and for some time President, of the local Employers' Association. He was also a Member of the Executive Council of the Engineering Employers' Federation from its formation in 1898. He was an excellent organiser, and was also unusually apt in the design and construction of cranes and in providing for stresses and strains, about which comparatively little was known at that time.
His death took place at his residence in Leicester on 9th December 1907 in his fifty-sixth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1889.
1908 Obituary