Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,138 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Richardson (1845-1883) of Platt Brothers
1845 Born the son of William Richardson
1884 Obituary 
GEORGE RICHARDSON was born in March 1845, and died at Oldham on the 10th October 1884, his father being Mr. William Richardson, the well-known managing partner in Platt Brothers' works in that town.
As a lad, the deceased attended the local school of Messrs. Oliver & Tait, after which he was sent to the Chester College, then under the head-mastership of Mr. Rigg. Thence he was transferred to Zurich, in Switzerland, where he received private tuition under the care and guidance of Mr. F. E. Schock, the agent of Messrs. Platt. After a residence of some eighteen months at Zurich, during which period he acquired a knowledge of the German and French languages, he returned home and became a day and evening student of the Owens College, Manchester, where he succeeded in obtaining several prizes and certificates of honour. He took a special interest in chemistry, and had the advantage of studying, both in the classes and in the laboratory, under Professor Roscoe and Mr. (now Professor) Schorleminer. Being intended for an engineer, he specially studied the principles and practice of mechanics, physics, and natural philosophy generally.
In order that he might obtain an insight into commercial life, he was next placed for a time in the foreign agency office of Messrs. Sington & Co., of Manchester, the agents of Messrs. Platt in France, Germany, Belgium, and Holland. After leaving the office of Messrs. Sington & Co., he passed through all the departments of Messrs. Platt Brothers' works as an apprentice. He was then sent out to Rouen, and other places in France, along with Mr. S. R. Platt, to erect machinery made in Oldham.
In 1868, on the extensive works of Messrs. Platt Brothers being placed under the Limited Liability Acts, Mr. George Richardson wad made a director, and, in the absence of his father, he became the responsible manager of what are known as the Old Works and the Forge.
He was a member of the Institute, which he joined in 1880, and of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
1884 Obituary 
GEORGE RICHARDSON was born at Oldham in March 1845, being the elder son of Mr. William Richardson, at that time engaged in the works of Messrs. Hibbert and Platt, and afterwards a partner and director in the subsequent firm of Messrs. Platt Brothers and Co.
After attending a local school he was sent to the Chester College, then under the management of Mr. Arthur Rigg.
Subsequently he spent eighteen months at Zurich, acquiring a thorough knowledge of German and French; and on his return he studied at Owens College, Manchester.
He next received a commercial training in the foreign office of Messrs. Platt's agents in Manchester; and then as an apprentice passed through all the departments of Messrs. Platt's works. Afterwards he was sent out to Rouen and other places in France, in company with Mr. S. R. Platt, to erect machinery made in Oldham.
On the incorporation of the firm of Messrs. Platt Brothers and Co. in 1868, he was made one of the directors, on the recommendation of the late Mr. John Platt, M.P. On occasions of his father's absence, he was the responsible manager of several departments of the works, having the control of large numbers of workmen. With a view of making himself acquainted with all important improvements in mechanical engineering, he visited the principal manufacturing towns in the United Kingdom and on the Continent; and in 1879 paid a visit to America with the same object.
His death took place at Oldham on 10th October 1884, at the age of thirty-nine, from cancer on the left lung, from which and from rheumatic gout he had suffered for some time.
He became a Member of the Institution in 1881.