Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,942 pages of information and 210,197 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Thomas Clive MacGowan (1897-1944)
1946 Obituary 
GEORGE THOMAS CLIVE MACGOWAN was born in 1897 and received his education at Charterhouse School. After a year's course in engineering at the City and Guilds College, South Kensington, he was employed in the college workshops and later carried out experiments in connexion with polarized light under Professor Coker on behalf of the Air Ministry.
In 1917 he joined the Royal Air Force and qualified as a pilot officer. On demobilization, after brief appointments in the works of Mr. Constantinesco, West Drayton, and as works manager to Messrs. Watts, William and Company, Ltd., general engineers of Shepherd's Bush, he obtained a position as assistant electrical engineer to the United National Collieries, Ltd., of Wattstown, which he held for two years.
He then received an appointment as chemist and efficiency engineer to the South Wales Power Distribution Company at Treforest, but two years later became district engineer to Messrs. W. B. Dick and Company, Ltd., of Westminster, on behalf of their interests in Lancashire. This position, which he combined with that of sales representative, he held for twelve years.
From 1938 he was technical adviser to Messrs. John Holroyd and Company until his return to Messrs. Dick and Company in 1941 in the capacity of manager of their turbine department. Mr. Macgowan, whose death occurred on 3rd July 1944, as the result of enemy action, was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1924 and was transferred to Associate Membership in 1927.