Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Thomson (1816-1894)
1895 Obituary 
GEORGE THOMSON was born at Glasgow in the year 1816, and died at his residence at Cheltenham on November 30, 1894. He was educated at Glasgow as a civil engineer, and afterwards entered the works of his father, Mr. James Thomson (who was an original member of the Institution of Civil Engineers), at Calcotes and Lightmoor, in Shropshire, and assisted in the management in conjunction with his father. His first professional appointment was in the celebrated trial as to the patent rights of the hot blast, for which case he was retained.
In 1844 he undertook the management of the extensive ironworks and collieries belonging to the New British Iron Company at Cangreaves in Staffordshire, an appointment he continued to hold until 1857. He then commenced business for himself in partnership with his cousin, Colonel Thomson.
In 1869 the New British Iron Company offered him the management of their ironworks and collieries in North Wales. This position he accepted, and continued to hold it until 1885, when he resigned and retired from business, excepting when his services were required in matters of arbitration or valuation.
He was instrumental in originating the Permanent Relief Fund for colliers in North Wales, the success of which was in a large measure due to his valuable influence and exertions. Of this Society he was elected president in 1879, which position he continued to hold for several years.
In 1889 he retired (owing to ill-health) from the Society and public life altogether; and in recognition of his services the coal-owners and miners of North Wales presented him with a handsome testimonial, signed by representatives of every collier and coal-owner in North Wales.
In 1870 he was at the head of the movement which led to the formation of the North Wales Coalowners' Association, of which he was a very active member up to the year 1889. Upon his retirement the Association, in recognition of his services, elected him an honorary member, which he remained until the day of his death. On the establishment of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1869, Mr. Thomson at once joined its ranks, and was a regular attendant at its meetings.
In 1875 he contributed a paper upon a disastrous fire which occurred in the large Wynstanley Collieries, and its subsequent treatment.