Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,955 pages of information and 210,199 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Wallace Simmonds (c1897-1942)
1942 Obituary 
GEORGE WALLACE SIMMONDS, B.Sc., Wh.Ex., was identified with technical education during the whole of his professional career, and his untimely death, which occurred on 5th February 1942 at the early age of forty-five, was a great loss to technical education on account of the valuable work he had already performed both in London and the provinces. He began his apprenticeship in 1912 at H.M. Dockyard, Chatham, and six years later was employed in the dockyard as engineering draughtsman. During his college vacations he continued to work at Chatham and was responsible for design work and other technical duties connected with H.M. warships.
He also attended Gillingham Technical Institute, winning both Whitworth and Kent Senior Exhibitions. He then took an engineering course at the City and Guilds Engineering College, South Kensington, where he studied with distinction from 1919 to 1922 and obtained the Diploma of A.C.G.I., graduating B.Sc., with honours. In 1922 he was appointed lecturer in mechanical engineering at Darlington Technical College and also took charge of the engineering laboratories. His next appointment was that of chief lecturer and first assistant to the chief of the engineering department of Hull Municipal Technical College, and later he became responsible for the department, becoming in 1928 deputy head of the engineering side.
In 1931 he was appointed acting head, with direct responsibility to the Principal of the College. For a period of three years he was head of the mechanical, civil engineering, and building department of Rotherham College of Technology. Mr. Simmonds's last position, which he held from 1936, was in the service of the London County Council as head of the mechanical engineering department, with complete control over all stores, plant, and the functioning of laboratories and workshops.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1932 and was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Naval Architects.