Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George William Lenox (c1799-1868) of Brown, Lenox and Co
1799 Born son of Samuel Lenox in Tottenham
1839 Married Rosa Wilkinson
Worked for Brown, Lenox and Co
1851 Living at Tottenham: George W. Lenox (age 52 born Middlesex), Iron Cable and Anchors Manufacturer. With his wife Rosa and their children.
1852 George William Lenox, of Billiter-square, in the city of London, Chain Cable Manufacturer, and William Roberts, of Millwall, Poplar, Foreman to Messrs. Brown, Lenox, and Co. of Billiter square aforesaid, applied for letters patent for the invention of improvements in machinery for raising and lowering cables and other chains. .
1860 G. W. Lenox, F.R.G.S., Assoc. I.N.A. presented a Paper entitled 'On Chain-Cables' to the Royal Institution of Naval Architects. This provides a most interesting account of the history and application of anchor chains.
Extracts from an obituary of the wife of G. W. Lenox 
'THE CORNISH GIRL WHO BECAME ONE OF THE BEST BELOVED WOMEN OF WALES
Married at 18
Miss Rosa Wilkinson was born in the year 1821 at Rose-in-Vale, near Truro, and was the daughter of Mr. Charles Wilkinson, for many years a resident in Cornwall. In the year 1839 she married the late Mr. G. W. Lenox, "the father of the Welsh chain trade," who soon rose to commercial eminence and lived either at Ynysangharad, Pontypridd, or 34, Portland-place, London.
The Wife of a Business Man
Sir Samuel Brown was the inventor of certain kinds of chains, and the firm which he joined, and which Mr. G. W. Lenox was the senior partner up to the time of his death (which occurred in September, 1868) soon obtained large contracts for chains, cables, and anchors from British and foreign navies, by which the name of the firm and its manufactures became known all over the civilised world. The late G. W. Lenox always took great interest in the conduct of these works, both at Pontypridd and Millwall London, and Mrs. Lenox was ever interested in the welfare of the families, the heads of whom were employed by her husband and his partners.
What the Firm and Mr. Lenox Did Outside Business
In the long distant past, ere collieries had been sunk in the immediate district, this firm stuck to good business principles, paying their men weekly in the current coin of the realm.. Among other benefits which the late head of the firm of Brown, Lenox, and Co. conferred on Pontypridd was securing for the public for ever the Pontypridd Common, upon which stands the far-famed rocking stone, and this land he inaugurated as a recreation ground by erecting gymnasiums for public use upon it. He also took great interest in the building of the "New" bridge over the Taff at the side of the "Old" structure, which forms a lasting monument to the ingenuity of the self-taught builder of Groeswen, William Edwards.
More Private Life.
During the summer months the family resided at Pontypridd, and always manifested the liveliest interest in parochial and public matters, contributing largely to charities and schools, particularly those connected with the Church of England. With all these efforts the name Mrs. Lenox was associated until it became a household word in the district which she loved so well, and where she was beloved by all.
'....A sister of the deceased (Mrs. Evans, widow of the late Rev. Lewis Evans, Sandbach, Cheshire) was staying at Ynysangharad when the sorrowful event took place.'