Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,009 pages of information and 229,287 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ginetta Cars of Woodbridge, Suffolk was founded in 1958 by the four Walklett brothers (Bob, Ivor, Trevers and Douglas).
The first car, the G2, was produced as a kit for enthusiasts and consisted of a tubular frame chassis to take Ford components and aluminium body. About 100 were made. The G3 was introduced with glass fibre body in 1959 to be followed by the G4 in 1961. The G4 used the new Ford 105E engine and had a glass fibre GT style body and the suspension was updated to coil springing at the front with Ford live axle at the rear. Where the G2 and G3 had been designed for competition the G4 was usable as an everyday car but still was very competitive in Motor Sport with numerous successes. Over 500 were made up to 1969 with a variety of Ford engines.
1963 a coupe was introduced alongside the open car and a BMC axle replaced the Ford one at the rear. On test the car reached 120 mph with a 1500 cc engine. The series III version of 1966 added the then popular pop up headlights.
The G10 and G11 from 1964 were higher powered versions with Ford V8 and MGB engines respectively. The G12 was a mid-engined competition car.
1967 the G15 was launched with Hillman Imp engine. This two seater coupe had a glass fibre body bolted to a tube chassis and used Imp rear and Triumph front suspension. Over 800 were made up to 1974 and the car was fully type approved allowing for the first time complete Ginetta cars to be sold.
1970 it was joined by the larger G21 available with 1725 cc Sunbeam Rapier or 3 litre Ford V6 engines. To cater for increased production the company moved to a new factory at Sudbury, Suffolk.
Following reorganisation the company moved to Scunthorpe and started making cars in kit form again in the 1980s starting with the G27, an update on the old G4, and the G26 and G31 using Ford parts. It was also decided to re-enter the complete car business with the mid engined G32 with a choice of 1.6 and 1.9 litre 4 cylinder engines available as a coupe or convertible and the G33 coupe with 3.9 litre V8 power capable of 145 mph and a 0-60 mph time of 5 seconds.
Under the Walkletts, the company enjoyed 31 years of solvent trading without any Government handouts and under the skillful leadership of Bob Walklett the company always adapted to suit the economic conditions of the day.
Following the retirement of the Walkletts in 1989 the company was sold but failed and was then bought by an international group of enthusiasts and based in Sheffield and run by managing director Martin Phaff producing the G20 and G33.
List of Models