Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Across the River Clyde between Glasgow Green and Hutchesontown.
This is combines a movable weir combined with a fixed pipe bridge, located just upstream of Albert Bridge (Glasgow). The weir defines the upper tidal limit on the River Clyde. Constructed 1895-1901. The present steel structures, Robert Bruce (City Engineer), were supplied by Ransomes and Rapier of Ipswich, retaining the c.1900 sandstone piers and abutments. Three movable sluice gates, each 80ft [24.4m] wide, control the flow to maintain a fairly constant depth of water upstream, being raised and rotated by chains to allow boats to pass under them at full tide. Ransomes and Rapier had supplied the original equipment in 1896-1901. The Engineer was A B McDonald (City Engineer), with Sir Benjamin Baker as consultant. The gates themselves were designed by Francis Goold Morony Stoney. The system replaced a fixed weir and navigation lock constructed in 1852.
See CANMORE entry for more information,including a map and photos.
The 1895 sluice gates were described by F G M Stoney in an article in 'The Engineer'. See photos above.