Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Glasgow and South Western Railway, (G&SWR), one of the pre-grouping railway companies, served a triangular area of south-west Scotland, between Glasgow, Stranraer and Carlisle.
The first railway in Scotland authorised by Act of Parliament (27 May 1808), which was to become part of the G&SWR, was the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway, opened in 6 July 1812, built to carry coal; it was not taken over by the G&SWR until July 1899.
1850 The company dates from 1836, but was re-incorporated in this year under its present title.
1888 See Locomotive Stock June 1888.
1908 The company owns 444.5 miles of road, and partly owns 130 miles more. 
1923 The G&SWR became a constituent of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at the 1923 grouping of the railways.