Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,709 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Glebe Street, Campbeltown
1873 The distillery was opened by William Mitchell, a member of a local distilling family who set up on his own account, trading as William Mitchell and Company. At that time the town was near to its peak as the whisky distilling capital of Scotland. Alfred Barnard recorded Glengyle's annual output at 90,000 gallons.
1919 West Highland Malt Distilleries Limited was incorporated and Glengyle was one of six Campbeltown distilleries acquired in an attempt to rationalise the industry locally.
1923 West Highland Malt Distilleries Limited went into voluntary liquidation. Glengyle was disposed of and apparently production stopped in 1925.
Bloch Brothers later acquired Glengyle along with another Campbeltown distillery (Scotia, later re-named Glen Scotia) and Scapa Distillery in Orkney. Unlike the other two, Glengyle was not brought back into production. Another unsuccessful attempt to re-start the distillery was made in the 1950s.
2000 A new company, Mitchell's Glengyle Limited was formed to renovate the distillery buildings and commence production. The Glengyle name, having long since passed to Bloch Brothers, was not available to the company, who instead chose the name Kilkerran for its single malt whisky.