Gloucester Gate Bridge (Camden)
This iron bridge formerly crossed the Cumberland Basin arm of Regent's Canal, now dry (filled in 1942-3). Dedicated August 1877. Engineer: William Booth Scott, for the Vestry of St Pancras; Contractors Kirk and Randall. Elaborate bronze lamp standards in the form of candelabra (south-west standard missing).
The Cumberland Basin arm was constructed 1813-16 running to the west of Regent's Park and Albany Street and ending in a basin at Cumberland Market. [1]
The Basin was filled in with rubble from wartime damaged buildings and in the years following the Second World War the site was covered with topsoil brought in from Windsor Castle and turned into allotments. [2]