Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,823 pages of information and 210,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1834 Advertisement: 'TO BLEACHERS, DYERS, STIFFENERS, FINISHERS, and OTHERS. TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE CONI'RACT, the UTENSILS and FIXTURES, on the premises belonging to Elizabeth Goodier and Co., situate at Gaythorn, The Utensils consist of drying cylinders, stiffening frames, stone and wood cisterns, blue-vats, dressing-frames, finishing frames, pans, boilers, large screw press, apparatus for making size, dash-wheel, fly-winces, bone-mill, dye-tubs, large weighing-machine, lathe and bearers, &c.; and the Premises are to be LET; they are well adapted for carrying on the dying business on an extensive scale, having a plentiful supply of water—Application be made at the Works, Gaythorn or at Goodier, Krauss, and Cooke's, Bank-street.'
1834 Marriage announcement: 'On the 1st inst., at the Friend's Meeting-House, Dickenson-street, Mr. William Krauss, of the firm of Goodier, Krauss, and Cooke, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. William Boulton, manufacturer, both of this town.'
1841 Directory listings: Elizabeth Goodier, calenderer &c. house Moon Grove, Rusholme; Goodier, Krauss and Cooke, calenderers, embossers, makers-up, finishers, and packers, 13 Newmarket Buildings and 10 Bank Street 
1842 Elizabeth Goodier retired from the partnership. Business carried on by John Goodier, William Krauss, and John Cooke.
1846 Death announcement: 'On the 20th inst. aged 41(?) years, Mr. Paul Cooke, of the firm of Goodier, Krauss, and Co. of Manchester.'
1850 Goodier, Krauss & Co listed as calenderers, embossers, makers-up, finishers, and packers, 12 & 14 Cross Street, Market Street, and South Junction Street, Gaythorn. John Goodier's home: Moon Grove, Birch Lane, Rusholme
Location of Gaythorn Works
Adshead's 1851 Maps of Manchester shows 'Goodier & Co's Dye Works' located between the Rochdale Canal - alongside Lock No. 89 - and the MSJ&AR viaduct, and between Finch Street and Kenyon Street. The same premises are shown on the 1849 O.S. map as Gaythorn Dye Works. A curious feature is the marked curvature of the eastern wall. Immediately east of this is the works' reservoir, measuring about 50 yards by 30. The curved wall may simply reflect the shape of the reservoir, but earlier (albeit less accurate) maps show two reservoirs here, more linear in shape. In fact the reservoirs are present on Green's Map (1787 - 1794). The reservoirs were close to the River Tib and Medlock, and, latterly, the Rochdale Canal, which would have provided a cleaner source of water.