Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,737 pages of information and 199,758 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Aerospace Division of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co
1924 Goodyear formed a joint interest company with the German Luftschiffbau Zeppelin company, of which Goodyear held 2/3 and the Zeppelin company 1/3 interest. This Goodyear Zeppelin Corporation was able to use Zeppelin's patents, and a number of German engineers and technical staff moved to the US.
The company subsequently constructed dirigibles for the US military.
Also due to the lack of business during the depression, the company used its advanced aeronautical knowledge to design and build the high speed Comet commuter trains for the route between Boston and Providence.
1939 The Aeronautics Department became Goodyear Aircraft Corporation on December 5, 1939 in response to a contract from the Glenn L. Martin Co to design and build the empennage section for its new plane, the B-26 Marauder which had been ordered by the US army.
1941 The German-US joint venture ended; airship operations were moved over to Goodyear Aircraft Corporation.
Post-WWII - considerable work done on Synthetic Aperture Radar.
1963 The name was changed to Goodyear Aerospace Corporation
1981 Loral Corporation, a New York-based electronic equipment manufacturer, acquired the aerospace division of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company for $640 million.. There was considerable complementarity between the two businesses - Goodyear Aerospace made simulation and training equipment for the Navy and Air Force, while Loral made similar equipment for the Army. Loral produced airborne antisubmarine warfare tracking systems. Goodyear Aerospace makes similar systems to be used underwater.