Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,065 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1853 Founded by Deed of Settlement as the Grays Thurrock Gas and Coke Company Ltd.
Set up works on the Southend Road, near to the Thames.
1884 Obtained statutory powers; changed its name.
1913 Started to supply areas beyond Grays and Tilbury. Acquired four undertakings in south-east Essex: Laindon, Stanford-le-Hope, Billericay and Rayleigh. Closed those works and linked their networks to the Grays works by the innovative method of using high pressure steel mains operating at 30-50 pounds per square inch.
Increased demand in these rural areas led to the construction of a new horizontal retort house, and then a carburetted water gas plant.
1920 A Tully plant was built.
1930 Acquired by the Gas Light and Coke Co, closing the manufacturing plant in the following year, however, the site remained in use as a holder station.