Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,258 pages of information and 223,668 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
H. H. Timbrell of Central Garage, Olton, Birmingham
In July of 1920, they created the Bulldog motorcycle. The machine had a bought-in 689cc sv flat-twin Coventry-Victor engine; a carburettor from B and B and a magneto from Thomson-Bennett. These were fitted into conventional cycle parts with the addition of a three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox with belt final-drive. Having been assembled from various parts the result was very stylish. It had a sloping top-tube and a black-painted tank to which red panels had been applied. A complete sidecar outfit was also reputedly available.
As demand outstripped supply, due to the post-war boom, it should have been a resounding success, but after only three months, the project passed to Slaney Engineering. The machine was then retailed under the Slaney name.