Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,320 pages of information and 219,072 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1917 The Effingham was laid down on April 2nd 1917, at Portsmouth Dockyard, and was launched in June, 1921.
1925 "She left Portsmouth for her sea trials, after which she went to the East Indies station to replace the Chatham, and to take over the duties of flagship. She has been regarded as a stand-by job since the war, and it was not until the present year that a sufficient sum was provided under the Navy Estimates to complete her for service. The new cruiser is the last of the improved "Birmingham" class, and has a normal displacement of over 9750 tons.
Her overall length is 605ft., and she has a beam outside the bulges of 65ft., and a mean draught of 171ft. The turbine propelling machinery was built by Harland and Wolff, and is of the four-screw Brown-Curtis type, designed for an output of 65,000 shaft horse-power, which corresponds to a designed speed of about 30. 5 knots. Small tube Yarrow type boilers are fitted, The Effingham was once referred to in the House of Commons as his Majesty's ship Methuselah, and Mr. Ammon, then the Under-Secretary for the Admiralty, pointed out that even eight years would be a short time for the building of a vessel which would have such a long life as that name implied. "