Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,368 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
HMS St Brides Bay (K600/F600) was a Bay-class anti-aircraft frigate of the British Royal Navy, named for St Brides Bay in Pembrokeshire. In commission from 1945 to 1961, she served in the Mediterranean and Eastern Fleets, seeing active service in the Korean War.
The ship was originally ordered from Harland and Wolff, Belfast, on 2 May 1943 as the Loch-class frigate Loch Achilty, and was laid down on 2 May 1944. However the contract was then changed, and the ship was completed to a revised design as a Bay-class anti-aircraft frigate. Admiralty Job No. J3902 was launched as St Brides Bay on 16 January 1945, and completed on 15 June 1945.
In November 1962 St Brides Bay sailed for the UK, arriving at Portsmouth on 14 December. Two days later the ship was decommissioned after 16 years of continuous overseas service. She was put into Reserve at Portsmouth in January 1962 and sold to BISCO for scrapping. She was towed to Faslane on 3 September for breaking-up by Metal Industries. 1962.