Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,205 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
HMS Vernon was a shore establishment or "stone frigate" of the Royal Navy.
Vernon was established on 26 April 1876 as the Royal Navy's Torpedo Branch, named after the ship HMS Vernon which served as part of its floating base.
After the First World War, HMS Vernon moved ashore, taking over the Gunwharf site, where it continued to operate until 1 April 1996 when the various elements comprising the establishment were split up and moved to different commands.