Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Hall and Pickles
Visit of the Iron and Steel Institute to the Iron, Steel and Engineering Industries of Manchester and District
The firm of Hall and Pickles Ltd. was established in the year 1812, and the business was conducted from that date on the present office site in Port Street, Manchester. In 1916 it was turned into a private limited company. In 1902, land was purchased in Trafford Park, Manchester, and a modern brick warehouse building was erected, consisting of four bays, each equipped with a 5 ton rapid electric overhead crane.
Subsequently, a large additional steel building was erected in Trafford Park Road, which was served by three steam locomotive cranes, each capable of lifting 5 tons. Double track siding accommodation is provided, both from Trafford Wharf Road, and from Trafford Park Road, and 64 main line wagons can be accommodated under cover at any one time.
The business consists in the stocking and supplying of a comprehensive range of iron and steel products, chiefly, bars, angles, tees, joists, channels, plates, etc. which are supplied to the engineer's requirements, either in normal state, or cut to lengths, drilled, bent, shaped, etc.
The equipment also includes one high speed friction disc cutting machine, driven by 80 H.P. Metropolitan-Vickers electric motor, and two 44" diameter electrically driven cold sawing machines, together with two power hack saws, drilling machine, and bar straightening machine.
The manufacture of high speed, alloy, stainless, and carbon steels of the finest qualities, together with special nickel-chromium alloys for electrical resistance purposes drawn and rolled into wire and tape, is carried out at the Sheffield works.