Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,841 pages of information and 210,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Hamilton Edward Harwood (1823(?)-1872)
1874 Obituary 
MR. HAMILTON EDWARD HARWOOD, son of Mr. William Harwood, of London, was articled, about 1840, to Mr. Francis Thompson, the well-known architect. He assisted Mr. Thompson. who placed great confidence in his business qualifications, on the stations of the North Midland, South Eastern, and Chester and Holyhead railways, also on the masonry of the Britannia Bridge, Tweed Viaduct, and High Level Bridge at Newcastle, and other large structures.
On leaving that office in 1850, he entered the service of the late Mr. Charles Heard Wild, under whom he was successively engaged on the masonry of various engineering works, upon the Great Exhibition building in Hyde Park, and on the Crystal Palace works at Sydenham.
In the year 1855 he was appointed Surveyor to the Board of Admiralty for the Naval Yard at Keyham, and in the following year his appointment was extended to all the principal naval establishments at home.
In October 1863 he was specially selected by the Board to visit Malta, with a view to the settlement of the contractors’ claims for works on the great harbour at that station. He likewise carried on private practice as an architect and surveyor, in the course of which he designed and erected several town and country residences of magnitude, and was also professionally engaged by many of the leading Engineers in connection with railway-station works, for which his extensive knowledge of constructive detail and arrangement peculiarly fitted him.
Mr. Harwood was highly esteemed by his professional brethren for his thorough integrity, as well as for the extreme care and zeal with which he performed his duties, and his moral worth and sterling qualities had endeared him to all his private friends.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 16th of March, 1866, and he died after a short illness at his residence, Carlyle Square, Chelsea, on the 31st of December, 1872, in the forty-ninth year of his age.